Thursday, February 23, 2012

Why do I care about the Latino community?


The reason why I'm so into learning and researching about the Latino community is because both my parents are from Central America. They come from a small country called El Salvador and migrated to the United States in 1985. I was born in California, and had little knowledge about my heritage.

Since I was a little girl, I've always wanted to visit the motherland, as I call it. I didn't get a chance to go until I was about 11 years old. It was a short trip, but a life changing one. I never knew how good I had it until I took that trip. Seeing kids my age working and not in school was crazy to me. I didn't ask questions then, but as I got older I had tons of questions.

Why was El Salvador a third world country? As to other Central American Countries? 

Why did we have all the resources available to us in the U.S.A and those countries lack them?

Why were CEO'S in the United States making over $200,000 when people in those countries are only making $2.00 a day?

 So I decided to major in Latino/a Studies to answer these questions and many more. Until this day, I have tons of questions unanswered and I'm learning more as I go. I’ve taken courses at SFSU about the Latino health care prospected, and learned about what these countries are lacking. I’ve taken issues in Latino history, to learn about the past and what is happening presently. These courses have helped me understand the people psychologically. I've also taken art history for Latino to explore what my people call art. By taken these variations of classes it has opened me up to exploring new cultures and being able to relate to my background.

I didn't know much starting off, since my family only showed me their ways and their experiences. But we aren't just one type of Latino, there are many types and these classes helped me explore them and relate to most of them. I have interviewed other Latino Americans, and learned a lot from their own personal experiences, struggles and survival tactics. So I would like to share with you as I go, my experiences and the new things I find intriguing about the Latino Community. 





Photos: Kiko Carrasco




1 comment:

  1. I can remember going to Mexico and watching young children selling chicles and helping their mothers with work. I thought to myself "shoudl't they be in school or home playing"

    ReplyDelete